[mythtv-users] Re: Machine lock ups, I need help

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 8 09:34:09 EST 2003

Top-posting rearranged.

On Monday 08 December 2003 06:50, Dhiraj Gaurh wrote:
> Craig O'Shannessy wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >I don't support your motherboard has a KT133 chipset?
> >
> >http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2003-September/014216.html
> >
> >I had the same symptoms, same CPU, and I bought a new 'puter to use,
> >booted up using the original hard disk, and haven't had a crash
> > since
> >
> >If you have this chipset, I think that's your problem.
> >
> >Hope this helps
> >
> >Craig
> >

> I have the FIC AZ11E which also uses KT133 chipset. I have never had
> kernel Ooops but my recording part is not working yet. If bttv has
> problems with KT133 then why have I been watching TV for the last two
> years using xwtv without any problems. How does bttv know that I am
> recording or playing, it should be the same thing, this is just an
> application level differnce. I have used the vcr program to record
> shows in the past without any problems. If you can watch TV on this
> chipset then it is perfectly possible to record too.
> I am using RH 7.2 with AMD T-BIRD 950 MHZ
> My mythtv recording  part is not working because of some software
> problem which I need to fix, it doesn't crash my machine. It just
> doesn't record, nothing happens. I am not going to believe that this
> KT133 bug surfaces only with myth and not with vcr !
> A computer costs a lot of money. I can't afford to buy a new computer
> because some particular feature of one application is crashing. Why
> don't you use mythtv to watch live tv and use vcr to record in your
> old computer. Should work on yours if it works on mine. If KT133 is
> at fault, that is.
> You murdered your old friendly computer  :)

The problem with the KT133 chipset has nothing to do with bttv.  If you
have a bttv card, as you seem to, then there is no issue.  The problem
occurs if you have an ivtv card (PVR-x50, M-179).  There is a known
chipset bug (or 'quirk', if you prefer) that causes problems when using
the ivtv driver.

Incidentally, Myth does not use 'bttv' for playback... since
playback-only in Myth doesn't involve the tuner card.  The bttv/V4L
driver is only used in Myth for recording or LiveTV.  Playback is done
solely through your video card using X (Xv/XvMC).  So it is entirely
possible for problems to arise during recording that don't occur during
playback only.

Craig was only offering a helpful suggestion... there was no need to be
rude, especially since it seems you're not really clear on how Myth
actually works.

-JAC