[mythtv-users] Building 2 MythTV's w/ Gentoo, any tips? ALSA/LIRC native support?

Cedar McKay cedar at aliandcedar.com
Mon Dec 8 03:29:39 EST 2003

On Dec 7, 2003, at 9:46 PM, Chris Germano wrote:

> Now that I have messed up my myth box, I've decided to goto Gentoo (had
> mdk9.1 half working for 7 months). I will be building two systems this
> weekend. One being the master backend/frontend and the other a remote
> frontened/slave backend. In regards to Gentoo, does anyone have any
> guides
> on how to setup Mythtv.

Getting mythtv setup on gentoo was really easy. You can find the guide
right at http://www.mythtv.org/docs/. There isn't much gentoo specific
content, because there isn't much to it.

>  I'm quite experienced with mythtv, it's just every
> little bit helps. Also I'm planning on just downloading CVS and using
> that,
> shouldn't be a problem, right?
I would definitely start with a release and use the portage ebuild. At
a minimum that will install all the dependencies for you, like xmltv
and so on. And you will know your setup is good. Then after that you
can unmerge the release and switch to CVS, even if it is 5 minutes
after you get the release ebuild going.

>  I'm worried about getting ALSA and LIRC to
> work, as those have been my biggest nightmares in the past.
Way easier on gentoo than redhat (for me) on both counts. There is an
excellent alsa install guide on the gentoo docs website. Lirc, which I
had a tough time on Redhat didn't even give a whimper.

goodluck,
Cedar