[mythtv-users] First stab at mythtv...

Thomas Fjellstrom tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net
Sun Dec 7 19:46:26 EST 2003

And it didn't go so well.. (I've already spent several days trying to get it
to work...)

my all in one front/backend unit is built from the following parts:
VIA EPIA M10k Nemiah w/ 256MB ram
80GB Seagate Baracuda 7200rpm (hdparm -t said ~56MBps)
12x LSD-081 DVD
Happauge WinTV DBX stereo/radio TV card.

With the standard X drivers (in Gentoo's xfree-4.3.99.901 package), I'd get
over half the screen corrupted after exiting LiveTV.. And the performance in
LiveTV was terrible :( I Tried various encoding settings and none really
helped, I kept getting the same Prebuffering pasues. With a newer (patched)
via_drv.o from the viaarena forums, the corruption has gone away...

And I still haven't gotten any sound out of the TV.. I have btaudio loaded. I
have to say thoguh, at least it displays picture, with freevo it couldn't
play at all, my mplayer doesnt seem to have support for v4l in the tv
drivers, and tvtime will only display pink, even after twidling with the
device it uses and whatnot. But xawtv seems to work flawlessly, but its ugly
(make that the xaw tool kit is fugly), and I don't believe it has the same
features mythtv does ;)

I assume my machine is up to the task. I know my older much larger and louder
Athlon 900 could do it.

Theres got to be something I'm missing. Now, before anyone tells me to check
CVS, Its compiling right now :D Will it help? I hope it does.

Any hints? Tips? Thanks :D

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom at strangesoft.net