[mythtv-users] What's Hauppauge up to?

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Sun Dec 7 15:15:02 EST 2003

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 14:31:22 -0800, Ian Forde <ian at duckland.org> wrote:

>On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 14:17, Myster Man wrote:
>> well actually they aren't providing support, but they did give knoppmyth
>> permision to distribute the binary drivers with their distrobution.
>
>Yeah, but it just doesn't feel... equitable... I mean - the only thing
>that's being used from the binary driver set is the firmware.  And the
>ivtv project had to do its driver virtually from scratch.  So now
>Hauppauge gets to say:

  I wouldn't be too hard on Hauppauge. My educated guess is that
they cannot support the ivtv driver due to licensing agreements with
Conexant who makes the MPEG-2 encoded/decoder chips.  Hauppauge is just an
integrator, not developer of the chipset. Your beef should be with Conexant
for not supporting open source developers.