[mythtv-users] mythdvd: 5.1 playback?

Drew Bernat abernat at zathras.net
Sat Dec 6 23:26:45 EST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Paul Woodward wrote:

> Is it possible to get mythdvd to play with 5.1 channel audio? I am using
> the onboard audio of an ABIT IS7, linked to an A/V receiver by an
> optical cable.

The short answer is yes :)

It depends on what program you're using to play DVDs. I use xine, where
you can set up the configuration file to play 5.1 if it exists. Or
mplayer, with the command line (everything after a # is a comment)

mplayer
  -fs -zoon -quiet  # fullscreen, "quiet"
  -ao alsa9:nf $ ALSA driver, "nf" device which is the SP/DIF output
  -aop list=resample:fout=48000 # Resample to 48Khz, required for Nforce
  -af resample=48000 # See above
  -ac hwac3,    # comma is required -- hwac3 if it exists, otherwise
                # use the default decoder
  -vo xv  # Video ouput
  %s # Filename

To explain some: I use an nforce output and ALSA to get SP/DIF output. The
nforce digital out can only play at 48Khz, hence the resample lines. The
hwac3 will output ac3 if it exists, and the comma will allow other files
to play.

Let me know if you're using xine, and I'll dig out the config file.

Drew

--
Drew Bernat                                                __ ____
abernat at zathras.net                                         |  | |