[mythtv-users] lirc & homebrew transmitter & scientific atlanta 2100

papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu papenfuss at juneau.me.vt.edu
Sat Dec 6 15:36:25 EST 2003

> Interestingly enough, I just got done programming a universal remote to
> control my MythTV box using a home built IR receiver. (The opposite of
> your project.)
>
> Also, for some reason I couldn't use ANY of the pre-fab configs on
> lirc.org.  I also found I had to do a -f when recording to get a signal
> - using RAW mode.

	I found out something interesting while trying to program my receiver
for my remote.  The remote was a partial universal remote (for a dvd player...
limited TV functions that were programmable).  If you try to have it detect the
type of remote, it assumes only one type of remote.  If you've got the
universal set up multiple things, it's not going to like anything but raw.
Here's what I did though...

	Determine (or guess?) which keys are for specific models.  For
instance, volume doesn't work on a DVD player (usually), but it does for the
TV.  Call that a 'sub-remote.'  Use xmode2 to look at what's coming in.  All
packets (for a specific sub-remote) should look pretty similar.

	During the first part of the irrecord (before you enter each key),
press ONLY the keys corresponding to your sub-remote keys.  It should be able
to recognize the coding scheme for those and you can get the (much better)
non-raw versions.  If necessary, repeat (with a new config file) for the other
"sub-remotes".  When all done, glue the files together.

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux:  					*
* 	- learn what you don't know, 					*
* 	- teach what you do.						*