[mythtv-users] Another performance question...

James L. Paul james at mauibay.net
Sat Dec 6 03:34:50 EST 2003

On Friday 05 December 2003 21:58, Jeremy Hanmer wrote:
> I'm running the following system with no problems:
>
> 1.43ghz athlon-xp
> 512MB ram
> 7200rpm drive connected via firewire for all recordings (hdparm reports
> 28MB/s read speed)
> basically the same capture card (WinTV-DBX)
> Nvidia GeForce4MX with 64 megs
>
> so it looks like you should have more than enough power.  My first guess
> would be either motherboard (DMA issues, perhaps?) or buggy video
> drivers since it's a relatively new card (or are you maybe just not
> running the binary nvidia drivers?).

If disk DMA is confirmed to be working, I don't see it as an issue. At 30MB/s
he's still an order of magnitude above the speed needed. Also, this wouldn't
explain why only fast-moving video would be jerky and "talking head" video
would be smooth.

> It may also be a matter of compilation flags, but with a 2ghz machine,
> I'd expect smooth recording/playback even with very laid-back
> optimizations.

I agree. Even with no optimizations he should be ok. My Athlon 1.4GHz kept up
with a very similar config with about 50% CPU.

> To rule out a problem with Fedora (which I've heard there are plenty
> of), you could try KnoppMyth.  It's just a bootable cdrom image with a
> debian installation on it...should to the trick for testing.

Good idea. I suspect something weird going on. The only bit of (likely
useless) advice I have is to pause the video for a second or two then resume
playing live TV. Perhaps he is just a bit too close on the heels of the
ringbuffer and needs to back of a second or so to prevent payback from
running into the front of the buffer. It's a long shot in the dark, yes.