[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Dec 5 17:56:31 EST 2003

Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
> On Thursday 04 December 2003 22:53, Mark Shoemaker wrote:
>
>>Quick question for you all,
>>
>>Can mythbackend be run on a system without kde?  The reason I ask is,
>>I'm
>>planning on installing mythtv backend on my server machine, which has
>>no KDE on
>>it (no need, I usually don't even have a monitor attached to it).
>>
>>Thanks
>>
>>Mark Shoemaker
>

> KDE is not a requirement for Myth (frontend or backend).

Correct, KDE is not required but what I think you meant, Mark,
is X in general. While mythbackend doesn't display anything
in X, you do need to run "setup" to configure the backend.
If you have enough X and ssh bits, you can ssh into the server
system and run setup remotely. If so, you won't need a monitor
attached to configure and run a backend only machine.

--  bjm