[mythtv-users] Dual headed myth-tv box

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Fri Dec 5 11:17:15 EST 2003

On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, Simon at the Threshold wrote:
> Another possible option for me is to run my office system dual-headed
> one for the office monitor at a decent res and a second card which
> supports tv-out which plugs into the living room. THus I can safe some
> dosh by not buying a second ultra computer for the living room (Although
>   a new toy does appeal).

I am playing around with this as well.  I'd like to drive two televisions
off of one frontend by running two instances of mythfrontend.  Here's what
I've experiemented with so far:

*) Running two X servers.  In my XF86Config file, I defined two screens,
two devices, two monitors and two layouts.  One layout uses device1 and
monitor1.  The other layout uses device2 and monitor2.  I then set up
gdm.conf as follows:

In the [servers] section:
0=Standard
1=TV

Then down a few lines:
# Definition of the standard X server.
[server-Standard]
name=Standard server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0
flexible=true

[server-TV]
name=TV server
command=/usr/X11R6/bin/X -audit 0 -layout TVLayout
flexible=true

I'm not 100% certain what flexible means so maybe it's part of my problem.
The problem with this setup, is that it will only display X on one monitor
at a time.  This won't work since I want to be able to watch both TVs at
the same time.

*) Other option I tried was to have one layout contain two screens.
Here's my layout section from my XF86Config:

Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier     "CRT Layout"
        Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
        Screen      1  "TV Screen" leftof "Screen0"
        InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
        InputDevice    "DevInputMice" "AlwaysCore"
EndSection

Surprisingly, this almost works.  I autostart mythfrontend via kde and
when I used this config, I got a separate mythfrontend process on each
display simultaneously.  Currently, I can control both by using my mouse
to "jump over" to the other display.  However, the problem with this setup
is that there is only one config for mythfrontend because it is the same
user running both copies.  So I get sound from both frontends on the same
soundcard.  That won't work.  Also, I gave a little thought to how I could
control each frontend with separate remotes on separate serial ports but
that started giving me a headache and it was 1:30AM so I gave up for now.

Anyone have any pointers for me?

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>