[mythtv-users] Trying again: Bad studdering when video fadestoblack, or in all white frames

ttempl-myth ttempl-myth at tcworks.net
Thu Dec 4 23:10:05 EST 2003

Commercial flagging is done in a seperate process after the fact, so it's
not that.

I hooked up an old DVD player so I could have something repeatable to test
with and seem to have found a 99% solution, at least it works for me and my
test source, which was the credits and some of the fade outs in  Oh Brother
Where Art Thou.  I'll have to do some further real world testing/watching to
see though.  I should also point out that I'm currently dealing with CVS, so
your mileage with .12 may vary.

Since this happens on playback, I decided it might be a good idea to poke
around in those settings even though I thought I had tried them all before.
As I had stated before my stutter wasn't too bad, and as I started this test
I remembered this DVD stuttering much worse, this lead to the first thing I
had done that inadvertantly helped for some reason; turning on Jitter
Reduction.  Because when I turned it back off, stutter became very bad.  So
I turned it back on and tried the other flags.  The one that did the trick
for me was 'Extra Audio Buffering'.  This smoothed out the credits entirely.
Playing with recording options such as resolution, bitrates, and sound
bitrates would seem to make a small difference but nothing terribly drastic
like checking and unchecking those two things.

So to recap in the first playback setup screen turn on the following...

Deinterlace -- I mention this just so you don't think I have it off...
Jitter Reduction
Extra Audio buffering.

Recording settings, just FYI
640x480
4400 min bit
6600 max bit  -- Don't know why they just sound good.
192 kbps sound bitrate.

Hope maybe that helps a little...

Tim