[mythtv-users] Mythtv broadcast

Lee Nash lee at compucrew.com
Thu Dec 4 08:51:30 EST 2003

Quoting Mark Musone <mmusone at shatterit.com>:

> The _only_ thing that might be nice (I don?t do it)
> Is to put in a filter when the main cable comes into your house (before
> you split it off so that your signal doesn?t go _out_ your house..
>
> Granted, you are going to choose an unused channel, but since you are
> broadcasting, it's very possible that you'll also be broadcasting to
> your next door neighbor too :) plus it's not nice to be sending
> transmissions _back_ to the cable company..

I think this depends on how you have your house cabled.  I wired my house
with a central closet feeding each room with several RG6 runs.  My modulator
sits between the main cable feed and the splitter/amplifier.  The problem
occurs when your video sources are in different rooms and you use passive
splitters/combiners in you cabling setup in order to distribute the signal
to the rest of the house.  You create a loop that *could* push your modulated
channel down the main feed.
Here is an example:      ________________
                     ----|               |
                To   ----|  Splitter/    |
                TV's ----|  Amplifier    |_______________________________
                     ----|_______________|                               |
                                                              _________  |
                                                              |        | |
           _________                       |------------------|Combiner|--
           |        |----------------------|                --|________|
Cable -----|Splitter|                                       |
           |________|-------------------------              |
                                             |              |
                                          ___|_____         |
                                          |        |        |
           ___________            ________|Combiner|--------|
           |          |           |       |________|
MythTV ----|MTS/Stereo|------------
           |Modulator |

> The nice thing about the channelvision stuff is that they are extremely
> good quality, not like that channel 3/4 junk you buy at target/radioshack.

This is definitely true for both ChannelVision and ChannelPlus modulators.
One interesting thing about ChannelPlus (and maybe ChannelVision too) is that
they sell a unit that can route IR along with your modulated signal.

The only problem I see with using a modulator for a mythtv box is your stuck
with only MTS/Stereo sound.  You would have to run a shielded line for any
other audio needs.

-lee