[mythtv-users] Re:DVD playback

Andy check_1_2 at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 4 02:22:12 EST 2003

>> When I put a DVD in the drive and select "Play DVD" The DVD activity
light
>> comes on, as does the HD light, but I see no video, just same "Play DVD"
>> "Play VCD" "Rip DVD" icons. I cannot Esc out of this and have to reboot
>> the computer to get out of this.

> Which player program are you using for DVD playback? Check your settings,
> then run that exact command from a shell and see what happens. You'll
> likely get more information about what's going wrong (MPlayer, for one,
> spits out a tremendous amount of detail about what it's doing) to help
> you debug the problem.

> Make sure you do this as the same user that runs the mythfrontend process,

> in case this is a permissions issue or something else user-dependent.

The command was:
mplayer dvd:// -dvd-device /dev/dvd -fs -zoom -vo xv

Ran it at a terminal, and got after a bunch of config notices and a notice
saying there is no css library,
"Reading Disc Structure, Please Wait"
"There are xx Chapters" etc.
"DVD successfully opened"
"MPEG-PS file format detected"

It just sits there after that, happily reading away at the DVD, but no video
comes up on the screen.
I did an CTRL-ALT-F1, and in that terminal window saw, flashing down the
screen at a great rate:
"I/O error: dev 0b:00, sector xxxxxxx" (xxxxxxx being a high number)
The sector numbers were increasing by 1 at a very quick pace down the
screen.

Tried it without the -vo argument just to see, made no difference.

Any thoughts?

-Andy.