[mythtv-users] Will I be able to watch tv and record another channel with Directv

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Dec 3 16:42:13 EST 2003

fsquires wrote:
> One Thing you should realize is that you'll rarely ever want to do this
> (at least that's what I've found), because you can watch a recorded show
> and record another at the same time (provided you have the CPU power for
> it).

I agree. If everything in your recorded list isn't better than
anything that happens to be on right now then you aren't taking
full advantage of the DVR. I haven't planned to be glued to the
TV while something is being broadcast for over two years now.
I never channel surf unless I'm testing something.

If I do spot something on the EPG or while channel surfing, I
immediately hit "R" then watch the record in progress (or maybe
not, maybe later =).

I always get a kick out of people sheepishly saying that they
want a second tuner so they can "watch TV while recording something
else". Well, no ;-). Over time they'll learn that they want two
tuners so they can record both shows and watch either recording in
progress or something else or go out to a restaurant and watch
both of them later.

>  Live TV is mostly a thing of the past for me, except maybe sports
> and some HD stuff.

I absolutely digitally record sports. Even if I felt I needed
to watch in "real time", I want my own slo-motion replays.
However, I usually watch about 20-30 minutes behind real time
so I can skip commercials and fast forward through time-outs.
I would never want to be stuck in the ring buffer for watching
a sports event. I would always want to record and watch the
recording file.

--  bjm