[mythtv-users] Mythmusic food for thought

Wed Dec 3 13:02:08 EST 2003

> >I don't understand where you are going with this.  It is going
> >to take just as many button pushes to navigate hierachical
> >content whether you use two panes or just a single tree
> >(assuming the same hierarchy).  The two things are identical,
> >it's just a visual difference....
>
> Wrong.  It's takes exactly 1 button push/activation to go up one
> level of the tree with the paned approach in Video List.  (I could be
> completely wrong about the tree view in MythMusic, I'm at work right now:
> is there a way to automatically jump out of, and close, a particular
> subtree?)

I still don't get what you are asking?  It takes one push of the up and down key to move between nodes on the tree view as well?

If you are deep in the tree and push left then this folds up the current node (although this is the way most tree controls work, I use it all the time in MS windows UI controls, eg the Explorer view, etc).  The benefit of the tree is that you miss out on all that tedious left and right clicking action which switches the focus around on the screen (my wife really struggles to work this metaphor out, and we have had numerous sessions where I try and describe what the heck is happening to the focus jumping from the window in the left to the window in the right...)

At the end of the day, the two interfaces are basically functionally identical, except that with the tree you have the opportunity to overlap the content and avoid truncating stuff.  The problem is that perhaps unlike you, I am only using a TV to view stuff so I have quite a low res screen (720x576), and so eg in Mythgame I find that I can see the truncated bit of the category info, and then on the right I can see the truncated name of the game...

I would hate to have to try and pick my music based on scrolling through:

  Now That's Wha...
  Now That's Wha...
  Now That's Wha...
  The Best Album...

etc, etc

How the heck do I know what I am looking at when you have two similarly named albums?

Also, I have for example only a few dozen tv shows recorded, and it's driving me nuts trying to scan through them by clicking left then up and down then right and up and down, then left again and up and down, etc.  It would be soooo much more intuitive to me to just have a tree with a couple of main items, eg Programs by Date, Programs by Name, etc and unfold these and have a tree showing the stuff in the relevant sort order...

Anyway, each to his own I guess.