[mythtv-users] Mythmusic food for thought

Boyd II, Willy wboyd at fulbright.com
Wed Dec 3 12:31:04 EST 2003

Wrong.  It's takes exactly 1 button push/activation to go up one
level of the tree with the paned approach in Video List.  (I could be
completely wrong about the tree view in MythMusic, I'm at work right now:
is there a way to automatically jump out of, and close, a particular
subtree?)  Beyond that yes it's only a visual difference, but then again we
are talking interfaces here -- less clutter; I'm looking mostly at the
information I'm trying to get at at that point in time, not remnants
of the rest of the tree.  It's only a subtle difference, but IMHO it's a
better
interface for this type of device.  If they were so equal, I would find
myself using the mythmusic module a lot more.

>The issue is not the tree control it's how you setup your
>hierarchy - no?
>
>In any case even with 50,000 items it only takes me one button
>push to get through them all, ie just hold down the button and
>it scrolls on its own.  As I said to jump a load of screens I
>just use Page Down...

Like I said, yes I need to work on using page_up/page_down, that's one thing
I hadn't
realized before.  But the "one button push" argument is near meaningless.
So you
hold the button down... it still takes a while to scroll.  A long while for
50,000 items  (And my thumb can mash that button a little faster than it
scrolls, so I do that instead).

>Also, in case you missed your own point, "I have a lot of
>artists under T"... and "it sometimes takes 20 button pushes",
>well just to remind you that "T" is the 20th letter of the
>alphabet,

And?  U is the 21st letter, V is the 22nd...
I meant that I have 20 or more artists starting with the letter T, or
some other popular letter.

> and you then need to scroll through all those "T"
>artists to get to the one you want.... So, I don't buy your
>system either to be honest - I can't see that it will get you
>below 20 button pushes to find a random artist starting with "T".

Well you're right, but for a different reason.  By categorizing by alphabet
(tree view or not), I get immediately to those artists starting with T.  The
10%, 20%, etc. rule isn't too helpful with the more items you have, because
Artist, Album, and Track names are not
evenly spaced through the alphabet.  I don't think I currently have any X
artists, few Q's, etc.  And some letters are more popular than others.  It's
too much work to do the instant math to approximate where "70%" of my list
will take me, *but* I instantly know that going
to the T's will get me one step closer to Tenacious D.

But at this point, it's more about the hierarchy, and I agree the two
interfaces come down to only being different visually.  I could just as
easily make 26 folders called 'A, 'B', 'C', and use that in the tree view.
And I understand that picky visual opinions aren't enough to change the
module ('less I do it myself, of course), so I'll reside to just not liking
it myself :-)

- Willy