[mythtv-users] [mythtv-users] Install probs at ivtv step

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Wed Dec 3 03:01:15 EST 2003

On Dec 2, 2003, at 22:41, George & Kim Lopez wrote:

> I am having problems installing mythtv.  I am an
> admitted linux newbie so if you provide some
> instruction, I certainly would not mind the 1st
> grade version.

=]

> I think the install is good until
> I get to ivtv.
> Here is my current status (I have performed the
> below tasks twice now):
>
> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install
> ivtv-kmdl-$KERNEL
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> Package ivtv-kmdl is not installed, so not removed
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 33
> not upgraded.

Something is incorrect there. Notice the output refers to ivtv-kmdl,
rather than ivtv-kmdl-2.4.20-20_29.rh9.at (or something along those
lines). You *must* reset the $KERNEL environment variable after a
reboot...

> [root at localhost root]# apt-get install ivtv
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree... Done
> ivtv is already the newest version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 removed and 33
> not upgraded.
> [root at localhost root]# /sbin/depmod -a
> [root at localhost root]# /sbin/modprobe ivtv
> modprobe: Can't locate module lirc_dev which is
> needed for ivtv

So ivtv isn't ever loading... Odd. I just did an install without
installing lirc, and had no such problems...

> [root at localhost root]# /bin/dmesg |grep ivtv
> [root at localhost root]#
> [root at localhost root]#
>
> As you can see, I see nothing like Jarod's output
[...]
> There is nothing in the /var/log/dmesg file
> regarding ivtv.  Any help would be much appreciated.

Try that dmesg command immediately after a reboot, that's when it'll be
the most revealing.

--
Jarod C. Wilson, RHCE

Got a question? Read this first...