[mythtv-users] Myth Ideas

Lee Nash lee at compucrew.com
Tue Dec 2 13:55:30 EST 2003

Quoting Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net>:

> > Check out http://vocp.sourceforge.net
> > It would be fairly easy to write a client to interface into their system.
> > Once everything is setup, it works fairly well (although the voice menu
> > stuff can be fustrating on the caller).
>
> This is pretty much what I was thinking (thanks for the link, btw).  Use

Your welcome :)

> an already-coded voicemail system (which wouldn't necessarily have to
> run ON the mythtv box), and then write a myth plugin that hooks into its
> files, etc.  That way, people who want to could use myth to check their
> voicemail, but those of us who don't need to wouldn't have to.  But we
> could get a plugin or script written to allow people to control their
> recordings via the voicemail system, or to access the recordings via
> mythweb.
> Anyway, I'm more interested in the voicemail itself, and not its
> integration to myth, but I still think it's a great idea.

Using a pre-existing package is definitely the way to go, especially when
dealing with the beast of all beasts - a "consumer" voice/data/fax modem.
We are using an old Hayes Acura external modem with an old butchered version
of VOCP.  The voice quality of the recorded messages is not too bad (but the
voice quality of the voice prompts sucks!) and it has been very reliable on
receiving faxes.

-lee