[mythtv-users] Can MythTV play a scheduled recording while it is recording?

Steven Sartorius ssartor at bellatlantic.net
Mon Dec 1 19:04:33 EST 2003

on 12/1/03 12:51, Ken Bass at kbass at kenbass.com wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, Eric Thirolle wrote:
>
>> My question is: Is it possible to watch a scheduled recording BEFORE it has
>> finished recording. E.g., if I set up a scheduled recording of Angel at 9pm,
>> and then want to start watching it a 9:15, can I do this?
>
> You can do this. However be warned that you should not hit the
> 'commercial skip' button while doing this. On my system it either locks up
> or it takes 30-60 seconds before it recovers (not having skipped
> anything), but then the system goes into slow motion (1/2 speed) with no
> audio.

I haven't seen this behavior on my system -- an ASUS A7N266-VM Mobo with an
Athlon XP+ 2200 and a Leadtek Winfast capture card.  While encoding (and
decoding) an MPEG-4 stream  I am able to skip commercials with no problems.
I have noticed, though, that skipping through a block of commercials in an
MPEG-4 stream can take 2-3 seconds; skipping through an RTJPEG stream is
virtually instantaneous.

Steve