[mythtv-users] XvMC

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Mon Dec 1 18:24:06 EST 2003

Just confirming that XvMC doesnt work in TwinView mode. With 2 X screens
will I get to overlays or will it be just one (hardware)?? I wish NVIDIA
supported something VRM on linux.

DBakker at arrayasolutions.com
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
12/01/2003 05:27 PM
Please respond to
Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>

Discussion about mythtv <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
cc
mythtv-users at mythtv.org, mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
Subject
RE: [mythtv-users] XvMC

Im running in clone mode. I will try it tonight to see what happens.

David F. Bakker

www.ArrayaSolutions.com
p: 610-862-1040 x204
f: 610-862-1041

"Harry Orenstein" <ho_9 at hotmail.com>
Sent by: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
12/01/2003 01:54 PM

mythtv-users at mythtv.org
cc

Subject
RE: [mythtv-users] XvMC

David,

I can't tell from your message what "mode" (for lack of a better
word) of TwinView you are running in.  If Clone, I don't know
if XvMC would work (I would think probably, but I haven't tried
it).  If you are spanning two screens (CRT/TV) then XvMC should
only work on the first screen (s/b the one with the desktop icons).

For TwinView you should still need to specify 2 different display
sections in XF86Config-4 and the one for the TV should be set up
as Screen 0.  Check out the section of the README for restrictions
on XvMC.

The advantage (as I see it anyway) of having two distinct X server
screens (2 sessions) is that I can run a terminal session on the CRT
screen at the same time Myth is running on the TV.  That way,
if I need to check something out or recover from a frontend
freeze it is easier than trying to recover on the one screen and I
had trouble getting spanning to work is a useful way.  After
reading the README I thought that 2 X screens would be easier
to work with.  Eventually when Myth and ivtv mature I may drop
the CRT and just go with a single TV screen output, but for now
I feel more comfortable with 2 screens (and I can always turn off
the CRT).

If you are using a spanning TwinView setup, I believe you have to
set the Xinerama screen to use for Myth in the frontend setup.

Good luck!

-- Harry O.