[mythtv-users] $500 Myth Box

Jean-Francois Perreault cmcpero at megacom.net
Mon Dec 1 17:54:10 EST 2003

Andrew Hogue wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Well, how about the following: (I'm in canada so I'll do it in CDN funds
>and then change it to USD)
>
>AMD CPU 1800+ = $70
>Maxtor 120GB HD = $128

maxtor .. yuck !  get a seagate

>512MB RAM = $100

256MB would be more than enough

>Asus A7n8x-x Mobo = $90 (has sound,lan,usb)

instead get
Biostar M7NCP   (matx)
Biostar M7VIW  (best value, no problematic nvidia chipset too)
MSI KM4M-L (matx)

>Geforce4MX440 = $70 w/tv-out

instead get MSI GF FX 5200 VIVO  here it's 123$ CAD , has video-in
supported by RivaTV (check to be sure)

>Cheap Case & pwr supply ~ $40

don't sacrifice stability and reliability , this is the most common
error amonst do-it-yourselfers crappy PSU lead to dead out of warranty PC
get something respectable like IN-WIN L545 or IN-WIN J508 or Chenbro
PC-40522 or Chenbro  PC-80569
http://www.eprom.com/home/images_of_cases/chenbro_desktop.htm
http://www.eprom.com/home/images_of_cases/chenbro_slim.htm
this is probably THE most important part of your mythbox , also don't
rate PSU with their power rating , they are ALWAYS meaningless , what's
more important is quality and can only be checked with the brand

>Total before tv-tuner card = $498 CDN = $382 USD
>
>So, you have about $118 USD to work with for the tuner card.
>
>ATI TV Wonder VE = $49 USD but the sound is mono and not crystal clear,

you should always use the sound from the sound card
also ati video cards are soso , especially under linux (compared to
nvidia cards)