[mythtv-users] $500 Myth Box

Sean shomann2 at insightbb.com
Mon Dec 1 17:29:20 EST 2003

Yep, been here...recently in fact.

You won't be able to fit a DVD+-R/RW into this $500 budget. If you expand
out to the $700-800 range it is do-able.

My system was as follows:

Shuttle Mn31/N MicroATX MOBO            = $86
Athlon "Barton" 2500+                   = $90
2 x 256MB Corsair PC2700 RAM            = $90
Sony DW-U14A DVD+/-RW Recorder          = $149
Chaintech GeForce 5200 FX 64MB Graphics = $55
WD2000JB Western Digital 200GB 7200 HD  = $181
2 x Hauppauge OEM PVR-250 (EBAY)        = $180
Enermax MicroTower Case w/230W PSU      = $51

Now that adds up to around $880.00. Of course, I had two PVR-250s, a 200GB
drive (which I already owned) and the burner in there. Replace the drive
with the smaller brother, the DVD+/-RW with a DVD-ROM and lose one of the
PVRs and you are at around $600. To save further, you could easily switch to
a software encoding solution (to which I have NO basis of comparison, but
the cards run $50-75) (Note: I really, really like the PVR-250 and would
strongly recommend it. My CPU usage during recording is always under 3-6%)

So, yes, you CAN get to a $500 totally working system. Though if you record
24 hours of the same movie I am going to personally hunt you down and beat
you ;)

-Sean