[mythtv-users] Question about PVR-350

jose rubio debian at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 1 15:50:31 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 15:15, Douglas Phillipson wrote:

> I'm currently using a WinTV Go board and want to move to two PVR-350's.
>   Do they take the place of my video board?
They can, the problem is that the frame buffer support does not get
started until late in the boot up process so you won't see anything
until then.  Second, it is tricky to get it going so you'll want a
monitor nearby at least at the begining.

> The HowTo talks about Video
> Display  cards and then right after that references cards with TV out
> and the PVR-350 is one.  I've also seen posts talking about XF86Config
> configuration with them.  I'm confused as to whether it does both
> functions, Video display, replacing my NVidia Gforce4 and Video capture
> in one.  If it does both can Linux use both and have two desktops?
>
> Regards and thanks
>
> Doug P
>
> ----
each card can record and play simultaneously, you don't need two 350's
to have two desktops.  You can have one 350 display X on the tv and your
video card to display X in a monitor.  I'm not sure you'd need two 350's
unless you wanted to play two recorded tv-shows at the same time while
recording two others.  a bit of an overkill?

I have a 250 and a 350, a tv and a monitor.  I can record two shows at
once while playing another recorded show, or I can record one show and
view live-tv at the same time.  All the while I can play solitaire or
surf the web in the monitor...  Problem is those damn keypress events
sometimes don't go where I want them to...

-jose-