[mythtv-users] Video Archive And Slow Program Listings... (Bit long winded)

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 1 11:11:45 EST 2003

On Monday 01 December 2003 11:23, Shane W. wrote:
> BTW, I remember seeing somewhere in the docs that one should expect a
> ratio of one software encoded tuner/gig of processor. I have seen my
> box record 2 shows, play another show locally, and a fourth remotely
> and the mythbackend process is only ~40% on my 2gigger. I have also
> run mythtranscode while doing the 4 other processes, and it still is
> perfectly fine. Was the estimate a conservative one? Or have I been
> breathing in too much blue smoke?

It really depends on your encoding parameters... the 1GHz-per-encoder
rule of thumb is most likely based on 640x480 MPEG-4 @ 3300 bps.  If
you're doing 480x480 scaled bitrate, you can get away with less.  40%
CPU utilization is, I suppose, feasible depending on your settings.

As far as running a simultaneous mythtranscode, unless you're running it
manually from the CLI, Myth runs it at a nice level of 19, so it
shouldn't impact other things happening on the box, which is indeed the
behavior you're seeing.

-JAC