[mythtv-users] Re: WAS Capture card... NOW Cable bi-directional signal booster

Jarod C. Wilson jcw at wilsonet.com
Fri Aug 29 01:46:42 EDT 2003

On Friday, Colin Gebhart wrote:

> Here is an option available at your local RadioSchmuck for $60.
> http://www.radioshack.com/
> product.asp?catalog%5Fname=CTLG&category%5Fname=&product%5Fid=15%2D1169
>
> I have one and contrary to my normal opinion on RS products, I have
> been quite satisfied. Note that it is rated for analog or digital
> cable, pay-per-view, and cable modem. I have only tried it on analog
> and digital cable. Although I have not ordered PPV, after I installed
> the unit, PPV started showing availability where it had not before.
> Hopefully in the next week or 2 I could report on its performance with
> my coming cable modem.

I may have to look at one of those myself... I've got too many cable
jacks, and just barely enough signal to go around...

> JV> Do you have any recommendations on good signal
> JV> boosters?  I've actually tried a couple, and they
> JV> didn't really help.  Part of my problem is that I have
> JV> a cable modem so I have to make sure that I get a
> JV> two-way booster.

Keep in mind: put the booster somewhere you know there is a good
signal. Putting an amp on an already noisy signal won't help near as
much, and can also amplify the noise. :)

In your case, Joe, you might be well served to see if you can even put
it somewhere before the signal gets into your unit...