[mythtv-users] Upgraded to linux 2.6.0-test4 : my observations

Reza Naima reza at reza.net
Sun Aug 24 19:26:50 EDT 2003

I'm running a 2.8G p4 pundit system with leadtek tv2000xp.  I have been
having all sorts of random problems -- high load, skipping, audio
and "skipping" problems.   So I gave linux 2.6.0-test4  a try..

1) updating to the latest modules-init -- First, I didn't know I needed
to do this, and secondly, I really should have read the README more
thoroughly.

2) the alsa drivers are included, and they work much better -- no
skipping problems -- but I get a ton of these messages :

	Aug 24 18:11:17 pvr kernel: ALSA sound/core/pcm_lib.c:214: Unexpected
	hw_pointer value (stream = 1, delta: -255, max jitter = 1024): wrong
	interrupt acknowledge?

3) it uses v4l2 by default.   I havn't noticed any benefit here.

4) before the video would freeza momentarilly while it's 'rebuffering'
-- now it still rebuffers, but the freezing is much more infrequent. (live tv)

5) the kernel comes with the preemtive patch applied.  This might be why
my system seems a bit smoother, but the load is still still way high
compared to my free CPU.  I'm going to try doing some profiling to see
if there is anything obvious wrong with mythtv

6) I'm using the redhat's default qt-3.1 -- I'm going to try upgrading
to qt-3.2 to see if it works  any better.

Overall, the improvements with linux-2.6.0 make it a worthwhile upgrade.

Reza