[mythtv-users] Choices to make...

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Wed Aug 20 14:38:43 EDT 2003

  From what I have seen all the small form factor machines are very limited
in the
number of PCI/AGP slots there are.  If I recall the Shuttle XPC boxes only have
1 PCI and 1 AGP slot. Maybe there are other models that I didn't come
across in
my own research, but you wont be able to get your 2 PVR's + a Geforce in there.
Since your question was related to running over a network, maybe you meant to
say the backend would have 2 PVRs and the Shuttle XPC frontend will be just
for
the AGP Geforce4. I am returning my Asus Pundit because it only has 2 PCI
slots,
no AGP, and no floppy capability (not even on the motherboard-try flashing
a bios!).
I guess the client/server stuff isn't for everyone - I don't want multiple
computers powered
up all over the house. I want a PCI slot for a cheapie modem so that I can
work on
integrating caller ID into the Myth OSD.

I'm going to replace it with the Antec Sonata - low costs and also quiet.
That will allow
a full ATX motherboard and expansion capabilities. If I wanted to drop some
bigger bucks, see http://www.digitalconnection.com/products/cases/ht200.asp
- that takes a full ATX motherboard and looks
like a stereo component, has an LCD screen, and comes with an IR remote option.