[mythtv-users] Tv recording no sound

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Thu Aug 14 07:56:01 EDT 2003

At 07:11 AM 8/14/2003 -0400, Barry Fanion wrote:
>I am having a problem, that I hope it is a simple one :)
>
>I can watch live tv fine with video/sound (as long as i change the channel
>first so that the driver unmutes)
>
>When I record I get the recording without anysound, I have played around
>with the mixer without much luck.
>
>There are no errors on the back or front end
>
>I am not using the alsa drivers due to some issues getting them running
>correctly.
>
>Is there something simple I am missing here ?

Probably. I can't be certain from what you wrote, but I suspect you need to
switch to ALSA. Myth itself does not need ALSA (in fact, it uses the OSS
emulators in ALSA), but some sound hardware does need ALSA to work properly
for audio recording in Myth (and I think elsewhere).

One way to check this -- when you "watch live tv fine with video/sound", is
the cound properly sync'ed to the video? Or is there a slight lag (easiest
to spot in "talking heads" video)? If the second, you almost surely need to
switch to ALSA.