[mythtv-users] remotes (ATI vs Hauppauge)

Joe V joevph at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 7 20:35:32 EDT 2003

Chris,

I'm using an ATI Remote Wonder now with my MythTV box
(a work in progress).  It works quite well, although,
if I get another remote (i.e. with a TV capture card),
I might (or might not) change it, just because it's a
bit large (but all of those buttons mean that you
could do almost everything conceivable).

As far as I know, there's two different ways to setup
the remote.  The first is a CVS copy of LIRC (which
didn't work for me), or to use the GATOS ati_remote
kernel module, which makes the remote act like a
programmable device under X (which I use).  The bonus
of using this method is that the built-in mouse works
with XFree86, thus freeing you up from having to use
another PS/2 or USB mouse.

Using the GATOS kernel module, you use xmodmap to
program the individual buttons - some of them are
pre-programmed for you with the module.

Overall, the remote works well, I'm able to use it 10'
away from the TV (I live in a cramped one-bedroom in
California, so I haven't tested it further away),
although I do sometimes have to press down a bit hard
on the buttons to make it register (seemingly harder
than other remotes I have for things).

Somebody posted an xmodmaprc file that I use with few
changes on the MythTV mailing list, so it's pretty
easy to get going.

-- Joe