[mythtv-users] epia vs PVR-350 hardware decoding

Tako Schotanus quintesse at palacio-cristal.com
Wed Aug 6 13:36:09 EDT 2003

Took a look at CPU usage and as I thought my mythfrontend used about 60%
so I thought any stuttering I had could not be due to excessive CPU
load. But of course I had forgotten to take a good look at the rest. At
720x576 and with a PVR250 mythbackend only takes up 3-5% but X takes
whatever is left and so the total load was 100% continuous :-/

Again fiddled around with lowering the resolution and such although my
experience was that lowering the resolution would really bring down the
quality of the picture. Well I was right about that, but it seems that
you really have to try ALL possible resolutions because some of them
give very good picture while others are lousy.

The last time I tried lowering the resolution I did it with big steps
just to find the point where performance would be good and do any
finetuning later. But the quality being as bad as it was I never did any
finetuning. Now I found that about 1/3 of the horizontal resolution just
make the picture jump all over the place while the rest are rock solid.

I still haven't found any good vertical resolutions besides 576 because
most of them are more or less jittery/jumpy (of course with jitter
reduction enabled) or have visible staircasing in diagonal lines.

Now running at 464x576 and have only a _very_ occasional stutter. CPU
load is at 80-90% continuous (50-60% for frontend, 25% X, 2-5% backend).
Turning on the OSD will immediately cause stuttering, but that's to be
expected of course when there is so little CPU left.

I'll see if I can free up the cpu a little more to get the OSD to work
smoothly by lowering the bitrates a bit (using 4.5/6 Mbps now). We'll
see. Any other ideas I could try?

Cheers,
  -Tako