[mythtv-users] Re: my experience with Asus Pundit / PVR 250

Wed Aug 6 10:46:29 EDT 2003

> > In my experience, most things *do* work under linux.  (I know that the
> > older +- sony drives work just fine, since my company puts them into
> > linux boxes all the time).
>
> And I can vouch for the Pioneer DVD-R/W drives. I've used both a
> DVR-104 and DVR-105 without any problems under Linux, and both burn CDs
> and DVDs without problem. I haven't had a chance to play with the
> DVR-106 yet though (the new Pioneer DVD+-R/W model)...

What software do you use on your Pioneer?  Is it just dvdrtools (or commercial version of same), or do you use something different?  (Does the CD writing software work on a DVD drive to write DVD's?  Sounds stupid, but I saw a note that the DVD-rw drives can emulate a CD media.  Don't know what this means in practice)

Also, does the packet writing stuff work happily on the Pioneer drives?

I was think about perhaps getting one of the new DVR-106 drives since reading around the subject suggests at least Pioneer wrote the standard (well one of them) and that all drives up until now work very well since they use the same command set.

I would be interested in getting the USB version if anyone had any positive comments to make about USB DVD drives under linux...?  (Usually I would shy away from anything USB, but I have a specific use in mind)

Thanks