[mythtv-users] so how does Tivo do it?

Max max-mythtv-users at lasevich.net
Tue Aug 5 12:53:09 EDT 2003

Tivo is
    a: using custom designed, dedicated platform, not generic multipurpose
hardware, so they only have needed hardware
    b: because of a, they can use a 75Mhz PPC w/ 16MB of ram instead of
1Ghz+ P3 with 512MB of ram
        (at least this is Series1 specs, Series 2 is different I think)
    c: Series 1 units were sold BELOW their harware price, they tried to
make up the difference in service fees
    d: Series 2 units have better spec, but use much lower quality of
components as to bring the cost down.

-M