[mythtv-users] Newbie Hardware questions.

Kevinphillips kevinphillips at cablespeed.com
Wed Apr 30 12:12:48 UTC 2003

> I can view live TV but without sound.  I can record...also no sound
>
> is this a permissions issue with /dev/dsp???
>
> user: bob
> group: audio
>
> read write for both user and group
>
> I'm running front and backend as the user bob and NOT as root.

This shouldn't be a problem.

> alsa is working..I think.  If i set line in at capture and mute then the
> sound does not come out.
>
> If I set line in at capture and unmute, then i get sound but it's
> obviously delayed.  assuming this is analog.

Check if you really have plugged in the patch cable in LINE IN, and not MIC.

> pause works, rewind..record.  i'm very close i think.
>
> sh-2.05b$ mythbackend
> Starting up as the master server.
> Probed: /dev/video0 - Television
> Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite1
> Probed: /dev/video0 - S-Video
> Probed: /dev/video0 - Composite3
> adding: bob.chrisrickert.com as a player 1
> adding: bob.chrisrickert.com as a player 0
> adding: bob.chrisrickert.com as a player 0
> adding: bob.chrisrickert.com as a remote ringbuffer
> Changing from None to WatchingLiveTV
> Cannot open DSP '', dying.

This may be because another process has grabbed /dev/dsp. Look at the HOWTO:

> Could not detect audio blocksize
> audio volume set to '32768'
> Cannot open DSP '', exitingChanging from WatchingLiveTV to None

On a related note, I have a question also. Anyone know why the sound is
VERY quiet when watching LiveTV or recordings (MythMusic, MythVideo and
MythGame don't have these problems). If I turn on ALL channels (in ALSA
and in Myth) to a 100%, I still need to pump up the volume of my TV set to
about 50-75%, whereas watching TV without Myth only required 25-40%.
I have a CMedia 8738 (driver cmipci) and ALSA 0.9.2.

mdl