[mythtv-users] Compiling MythWeather

Christopher Jones cjones at christopherrjones.com
Fri Apr 25 16:27:51 UTC 2003

Thank you for your help.

reply is below.

On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 19:39, Richard Lee-Morlang wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-04-24 at 11:20, Christopher Jones wrote:
> > Red Hat 9
> >
> > here is what I get when I run tv_grab_na:
> >
> > parameterless "use IO" deprecated at
> > /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/XML/Writer.pm line 16
> > parameterless "use IO" deprecated at /usr/bin/tv_grab_na line 525
> These are just warning messages. I get the same ones. It still works
> fine.

Ok I wont worry about them then.

> > /usr/bin/tv_grab_na: /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_na.conf:8: invalid
> > /usr/bin/tv_grab_na: Failed to read /root/.xmltv/tv_grab_na.conf
> I don't think you'll have a valid tv_grab_na.conf by default. I think
> you'll get one after running mythtv's setup, however. You can create
> one by following the mythtv documentation, or by following the xmltv
> documentation. All depends on what you want. (I'd recommend myth's.)
> > which might be useless since I know I have missing perl mods.
> Are you sure? Are there other errors you haven't mentioned, because
> the only fatal error here appears to be a missing configuration file,
> which isn't really a Perl or xmltv issue.

I have rebuilt the tv_grab_na.conf with both methods(myth setup and
xmltv configure). Since I know myth is working I have been trying to
just get xmltv working from the command line by itself.

> > here is what I get when I try the perl Makefile.PL:
>
> > Writing Makefile for XMLTV
> > [...]
> > some other info:
> And you followed your 'perl Makefile.PL' with 'make' and 'make
> install', right?

yes

no other errors and I have since added the perl mods it says it is
missing manually. The only one that didn't install right is the
Lingua::Preferred.

> > BTW, I tried installing all of this using apt-get install xmltv.
> Sure, that's another way you can do it.
>
> >From what I see, it looks like you've just missed a few configuration
> steps, probably because the warning messages made you think something
> was severely broken when it actually wasn't. Make sure you've created
> a .i18n file or similar as specified in the myth docs, or else xmltv
> definitely won't work well for you. :-)

One of the main problems is that I am reading from about 3 to 5
different setup manuals. Nobody seems to have a working install doc for
doing this on Red Hat 9.

I first tried the rpm way of installing and it is not working so then I
tried to manually do everything. That is not working either.

It seems that everything is working except xmltv now.

I can do everything except go to the program guide in myth. Since it has
no channel data yet.

Is there any other information that would be useful to you?

Thanks for you help so far.

Regards,
Christopher Jones