[mythtv-users] Draft revisions to HowTo section 3.3, second try

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Wed Apr 23 23:57:05 UTC 2003

At 05:46 PM 4/23/2003 -0500, Robert Kulagowski wrote:

>Ray, I hadn't posted a response to your original draft because I was
>incorporating large chunks of it into the HOWTO.  For all "second
>draft" contributors, please take a look at the document that I've
>uploaded to CVS and use that as the baseline for further comments, or
>to correct me where I was totally off base.

Reading the raw HTML that comes out of CVS is a bit of a chore, so please
forgive me if these comments reflect a misreading of the changes you made.

First, I would restore the comment I made about swap partitions being
useless for MythTV. Of course, this is just my opinion, and you might not
share it.

Second, I would restore the comment I made that additional RAM (over 256
MB) acts to buffer writes to the hard disk. This role of "spare" RAM is
commonly overlooked, and people should be more aware of it. On any system
that runs a real-time, use-it-or-lose-it activity like video capture, the
extra time buffering buys can help the system cope with transient encoding
loads (camera pans seems now to be everyone's main example of this, for
good reason).

Third, the section on Savage video cards seems not to have made it in. I'd
recommend restoring that; the many people who corrected my original version
are surely right about the usability of those cards, but documentation ...
not just yours; most video apps ... seems never to mention them.

Other than that ... I'll infer from your actions that you find this
material useful, and start work on a similar revision to the next section
on software requirements.