[mythtv-users] Frames per second?

Eni Gma enigma at thedonnerparty.com
Wed Apr 23 17:26:56 UTC 2003

Ray Olszewski wrote:

> At 09:17 AM 4/23/2003 -0600, Eni Gma wrote:
> [...]
>
>> Yeah, I get fantastic Linux TV-out support with my Savage 2000 cards
>> (see
>> <http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=58030>http://www.gossamer-threads.com/perl/mailarc/gforum.cgi?post=58030),
>> but unfortunately the that chip has absolutely no XV support and is
>> unusable for MythTV.  From the site you referenced above:
>> "xvideo on the Savage2000 still seems to be broken. I don't know when
>> I'll be able to get around to this."
>

> Could you describe the details? (Whatever special you had to do, maybe
> Modelines?) It appears from your description that I have a different
> Savage 2000 than you do (mine has 1 VGA outout and 1 TV-composite
> output, not the 2 composite outputs you report). But your experience
> may apply to other Savage cards that do not have the xVideo defect
> that ours do.

Heh, maybe my original post was unclear, I have 2 of the cards, not a
card with 2 composite outputs.  I didn't use any special modelines, I
was incredibly impressed that it just worked under X.  I used it in a
freevo box for arond 3 months, using X11 as the output for mplayer.  I
decided to switch to MythTV because it has a better feature set than
freevo and I bought another savage 2k card in anticipation of this.
 However, once I installed MythTV I discovered that I required XV
support in order to function and so I pretty much had to mothball those
cards and go looking elsewhere for my TV support.  The second card I
bought was slightly different than the first, but the TV output works
great on both of them under X.  They are both generic Savage 2K cards
with 64 MB of memory.

If the Savage IX chipset will work under Linux for TV out and XV, there
are cards with S-Video out for $12.85 at
http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ASVGB1N-8MTV.

Here are my experiences with the various cards I have:
S3 Savage 2000 64MB Composite out - See above
ATI Radeon 7500 Svid + Composite - No luck.  Works in console mode but
scrambles under X.  The atitvout program did not work for this card.
Maybe with the ati.2 branch?
ATI Rage 128 SVid + Comp out, Comp in -- No luck, maybe with the ati.2
branch?
ATI Rage II+DVD Svid + Composite -- WORKING!  See
http://www.retinalburn.net/linux/tvout.html.  Black border around picture
NVidia GeForce3 Ti 500 -- TV-Out working with drivers from NVidia's
website.  Black border around picture.