[mythtv-users] Frames per second?

Ray Olszewski ray at comarre.com
Tue Apr 22 19:54:00 UTC 2003

At 09:08 PM 4/22/2003 +0200, Ben Bucksch wrote:
>Ray Olszewski wrote:
>
>>2. Debian-Sid [...] "setup" [vs] "/usr/bin/mythtv-setup"
>
>>it implies either that (a) the Debian-Sid binaries do not reflect
>>current, or standard, MythTV practice or (b) the HowTo itself does not
>>reflect current, or standard, MythTV practice. I'd offer a fix, but since
>>I don't know *which* problem exists, I can't.
>
>It's rather that MythTV doesn't refect current or standard Debian
>practices :). Debian binaries (incl setup/configure stuff) are in
>/usr/bin/. Because that is a system-global space, a name like "setup" does
>not make sense (and is not allowed by Debian). Thus the name-change in the
>Debian package.

Thanks. That's actually pertty much what I had guessed. But since the name
mythtv-setup makes *so* much more sense than just plain setup (no matter
where the program is put), I at least wanted to hold out the hope that the
standard name had in fact been changed ... especially since Isaac does his
development work on Sid.

So ... where does one turn to for information on the Debian-specific
variations? Clearly not the HowTo (Robert - is that just a matter of
someone drafting the needed pieces to drop in? or do you have a more
fundamental reason than the need for help for its not being there?).  The
README.Debian document included with the package is terse to the point of
uselessness. Where else does one turn?

For example, the Debian instructions in the HowTo for setting up the mysql
database (section 6.4) read:

>To setup the initial mysql databases:
>
>     $ cd database
[...]
>Debian 3.0
>
>     $ mysql < mc.sql

Aside from the problem of using a relative path without previously
specifying a PWD, this is out of date, at least for Sid, where the relevant
file is (I think)

         /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

Please don't get me wrong ... my intent is not simply to complain. Once
I've managed to get Myth working here, I'll be happy to use my notes from
the install to offer a set of proposed updates for the HowTo that fill in
omitted details and correct errors. It's just that until I work through all
of this stuff, I don't know enough to propose correct changes to the
Debian-Sid installation procedure. So for now, I'm bringing up things in a
fragmentary way because that reflects my current state of uncertainty ... I
can see where something is wrong or missing much more easily than I can see
what the needed correction is.