[mythtv-users] How usable is the G400-tv

Cedar McKay cedarmckay at mac.com
Mon Apr 21 18:17:35 UTC 2003

> This is very interesting.  Thanks for your reply.  Does this mean that
> the PVR-250 card is the same way?  If so I'll just pick up a win-tv or
> something and do the crunching in the processor.  Athlons are so cheap
> right now anyway.

my understanding is that the previous hardware encoding cards did
mjpeg. Those are the ones Isaac was talking about. The PVR-250 on the
other hand does mpeg2 encoding. This makes smaller file sizes and uses
much less cpu to play back. So this is so far the only card that _is_
worth it. Be aware that support isn't fully mature for it yet. But it
seems likely that since Isaac has one, and it seems to be working well
so far, it will get better quickly.

best,
Cedar