[mythtv-users] can we all get together and figure out cpu usage - Please respond

Jason James jason_james_97 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 21 14:35:32 UTC 2003

--- Bruce Markey <bjm at lvcm.com> wrote:
> Did you ever think "What the hell" I might as well
> try a
> simple window manager like 'twm" to see if that
> makes a
> difference? 30-50% cpu for the X server is not
> normal and
> is likely related to your other problems.

I had high X server CPU utilization until I lowered
the resolution from 1280x1024 to 1024x768 and dropped
from 24-bit to 16-bit per pixel. Using glxgears as a
video benchmark, I doubled my performance with those
two changes. X cpu use is now negligible. This was on
a GeForce2 MX (nforce chipset).

I still have very high mythbackend CPU usage for my
hardware/software, even though it is nearly identical
to some other configurations.

Wally, like you, I am still looking to solve some
issues. I agree with the others that you should comb
the archives for various solutions and see if you can
get anything to work. Every week or so a couple of new
ideas pop-up in this mailing list which gives me hope
that eventually I will get this solved.

./jj