[mythtv-users] Re:Re:Connection Setup (cords)

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Sat Apr 19 22:24:25 UTC 2003

Brad Atkins wrote:
> Well it looks as though I've made some progress.
>
> I had to make some changes to my /etc/modules.conf to take note of the
> onboard sound.
>
> I've setup the alsamixer using the command lines given in the manual.
>
> $ amixer set Master,0 100%,100% unmute
> $ amixer set Line,0 75%,75% mute captur
> $ amixer set Capture,0 100%,100% mute captur
> $ su
> # alsactl store
> # exit
>
> I have Line set as CAPTUR and 100%.
> What's odd is that I have another source called Capture that is set at
> 100% and also at CAPTUR.

That's not odd at all but the way it should be. This is used
to set the volume for recording and the line-in volume should
ignored when recording. All the mesages to this point have
been consistant with the Capture level not being set.

> When I run xawtv I get the sound.
> When I run aplay /dev/dsp I get the sound, but now it's much louder.
[consistant with the Capture volume 100%...]
> When I mute xawtv, and run aplay /dev/dsp I get just noise.

Not sure what a mute button for xawtv would do. Instead, try
starting xawtv and in another shell, run alsamixer. Unmute
line-in to verify you get sound. Mute line-in, and run aplay
in another shell. If you hear sound and the Capture slider in
alsamixer affects the volume, you're good to go.

--  bjm