[mythtv-users] Re:Connection Setup (cords)

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Fri Apr 18 20:31:49 UTC 2003

Brad Atkins wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I tried that and got sound from the line in. Then i mute it (and turn
> everything else up) and run aplay /dev/dsp and I don't hear anything.
>
> I have a cable running from my capture card to my sound card Line In. I
> set Line In as the capture source too.
>
> This card is full duplex capable (it states that in /var/log/message).
>
> Any other ideas as to what is up with the sound?

The fact that you got sound from the line in narrows the
problem. So either it isn't getting recorded or played
back correctly.

For record, either there is a mixer that affects the capture
gain that needs to ge unmuted and turned up or there is a
driver or hardware problem. Try "record" which is one of the
executables with xawtv. You should see the right/left levels
move if capture is setup and working correctly.

For playback it may be that /dev/dsp is not the correct
device. Try /dev/dsp0, dsp1, dsp2, dsp3. When you use aplay
on a device file where there really is a device you will see:

Playing raw data '/dev/dspN' : Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 8000 Hz, Mono
xrun!!!...

Another problem would be if PCM was muted or not turned up
but you mentioned playing other wav files so I doubt that
would be the problem.

--  bjm