[mythtv-users] [Fwd: [Fwd: Segmentation Fault]]

JC johnmythtv at crombe.com
Thu Apr 17 20:09:15 UTC 2003

Isaac,

I'm a programmer by profession, and I feel so helpless when I write out
upper
case ERROR or WARNING messages and users either miss them, or don't know
what to do so they ignore them.  Maybe after compiling Myth they've seen so
many
"Warning" messages that they become immune.  Anyway, here's a suggestion...

For the most common messages (and these are two VERY common ones), how about
adding another line or two of output after the error report.  For example,
instead of:

 ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.

say:

ERROR opening file '/mnt/store//ringbuf1.nuv' in ThreadedFileWriter.
Unable to create/write this file.  To correct this, please see:

or something like that.  Even surround it with blank lines, since it _is_ a
fatal error.   I know that specific links to the docs is probably
undesirable, but maybe at least we could reference "mythtv.org/docs,
Configuring MythTV".  Seems like it should cut down on the most common
repeated errors.  I guess in summary, instead of just "programmer debug
output" it should also include "lay translation" and "where to go / what to
do to correct it".

Cheers,
JC