[mythtv-users] What Resolution Are You Using?

Ben Bucksch linux.news at bucksch.org
Thu Apr 17 06:01:13 UTC 2003

Wesley Belk wrote:

> What resolution are you running your desktop in?

The screen on which MythTV runs has 800x600

> What resolution are you capturing your video in?

Generally highest possible. I don't think my Athlon 1200 managed that,
though, so "only" 640x480.

> What is the resolution of the average TV?

Depends on the norm. PAL is 768(720?)x576, I think, so I use 800x600.
NTSC is something like 640x480.

> How are you outputing to your TV, with a Scan Converter or Video Card
> with TV Out?

Video card with TV out, nvidia with the binary nvidia driver, although I
have to warn you that it's unstable - I had lots of lockups (at least
with the previous version) until it worked, resulting in some data loss
on my disks (!) :-(. The scan converters I saw (a few years ago,
anyways, I haven't seen any recently) are too expensive, like $100-200.

If I had to buy a new card for MythTV, I guess I'd use a cheap ATI
Radeon 7000 with TV out for $35 or so, but first check that there are
drivers (preferably Open-Source) for the TV out.