[mythtv-users] Record table preferences

Corey Virgil corey at midlandtel.com
Wed Apr 16 23:32:24 UTC 2003

> When I add things to 'record' I already know that I prefer
> "Nova" over "Bowling for Dollars". I want to let the system
> know this. I want to to catch every episode of "Survivor"
> even if it gets moved to Wednesday or if there is a special
> one time episode of "That 70's Show" on a Thursday.

I believe TiVo has the correct approach to this problem with their
"Season Pass Manager".  It simply presents a list of all your season
passes (basically the same as an any time - any channel recording) and
lets you rearrange the order.  If two recordings conflict with each
other, the one that's highest on the list gets recorded.  One time
recordings that conflict with a previously scheduled program are dealt
with at the time you try to schedule the recording.

IMHO, this is a much better approach than the way MythTV currently
handles it.  I don't really see what the length of a show has to do with
which show I want recorded.  I'd much rather see Survivor (1 hour) than
WWE Smackdown (2 hours 20 minutes), for example.

What would be cool, though, would be to have it record the higher
priority, but shorter, program then go pick up the remainder of the
longer program when it's done.