[mythtv-users] Record on Backend, Watch LiveTV on Frontend?

Chris Palmer mythtv at zencow.com
Fri Apr 11 22:43:18 UTC 2003

Good comments from all on this.  Yes, I'm working from a limited
subset of Myth applications, so I have a narrow view of things.
That's the whole point of asking questions and getting answers. :)

I was thinking solely about a simple client-server relationship
and not looking at the bigger picture of what all the other Myth
applications need.

I think I still like the "idea" of a simple client-server setup,
though.  As far as "what problem am I trying to solve", it was
simply an architectural "preference" and not so much a "problem".
My primary thoughts though are about security with more complex
network layouts.

Maybe in the future, I'll be hired to install MythTV in a hotel,
where each room has a frontend and their is a nice farm of tuners
down in the basement.  The frontends would be on a seperate network
to prevent hacking, and would only have access thru the (or "a")
backend.

How about MythTV used in an educational environment, where schools
don't have to use crappy A-V equipment with films that break.  They
can just watch recordings stored in the school's library of videos
and not worry so much about scheduling issues.  Heck, instructors
could even schedule recordings (news, whatever) and show them in
class the next day, or next year.  Kids are smart, but that's a
problem, since they like to try to get into things they shouldn't
and I always think about improving security by reducing opportunity.

Hmmmm... now that I've just gone exploring with my imagination,
I'm curious if a frontend can operate (minimally) with ReadOnly
access on the database.  I may have to test this out, because
I'm wondering if the playback of shows requires any updates.
Then, I could maybe put a frontend in little Johnny's room and
not be worried that he'll be able to hack into the adult channels
(when the parental controls are added to Myth).  ;-)

-Chris
(no, I don't have kids now, but who knows what the future brings...)

:)

Joseph A. Caputo wrote