[mythtv-users] mythbackend is fricking frying my cpu

Joseph H. Fry joe at thefrys.com
Thu Apr 10 06:57:42 UTC 2003

I could be way off base here, but wouldn't a MPEG4 Variable Bit Rate
real time encoder always use 100% of available processor.  The way I
understand it is that the encoder is trying to compress the video in
real time as much as it possibly can thus using all of the available
clock cycles.  If you look at the file sizes of files encoded with the
frontend off vs with the front end on, you should notice a significant
difference in the amount of disk space consumed for a given length of
video.  In otherwords... your cpu runs at max capacity when encoding and
depending upon how many cycles are used by other processes the level of
compression will vary.

I hope this makes sense, it's late and I'm tired... but as far as I
understand it this is the way most realtime VBR encoders work.  Or isn't
the MPEG4 encoder VBR?

Joe