[mythtv-users] TV-Out: AITech Scan Converter vs CX2587x

Thor Johnson thormj at ieee.org
Wed Apr 9 22:53:54 UTC 2003

>On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:02, John Kelley wrote:
>> Hell, if your TV has component RGB inputs then by all means use them!
>> You will get MUCH better quality than anything else you could do. The
>> Analog VGA to Component converters shsould run for the same amount as
>> the VGA to SVIDEO/Composite converters albeit with a HUGE quality
>> advantage.
>
>I'm not very sure it would actually work. My TV has component input, but
>it's not HDTV, and it doesn't support progressive scan. So it's just a
>regular NTSC signal carried on component cables. I imagine it's somewhat
>better than S-Video, but I'm not sure it's *that* much better. I only
>know it works fine with my standalone DVD player.

The component in on your tv is the same as s-video.  You get better quality
with the "component" version because they can be sheilded better as separate
cables; it should be pretty easy to build/buy a S-Video->component cable.

Where you can get a *great* boost in quality is if your TV has R/G/B inputs
(a la SCART), that way your tv doesn't have to unmuddle
Chrominance/Luminance/??
back to RGB.  I never understood why TV's don't have RGB considering they
fire R/G/B pixels at their screens....

-Thor Johnson