[mythtv-users] TV-Out: AITech Scan Converter vs CX2587x

Richard Lee-Morlang rick at webtownis.bc.ca
Wed Apr 9 21:54:47 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-04-09 at 14:02, John Kelley wrote:
> Hell, if your TV has component RGB inputs then by all means use them!
> You will get MUCH better quality than anything else you could do. The
> Analog VGA to Component converters shsould run for the same amount as
> the VGA to SVIDEO/Composite converters albeit with a HUGE quality
> advantage.

I'm not very sure it would actually work. My TV has component input, but
it's not HDTV, and it doesn't support progressive scan. So it's just a
regular NTSC signal carried on component cables. I imagine it's somewhat
better than S-Video, but I'm not sure it's *that* much better. I only
know it works fine with my standalone DVD player.

I'm not entirely clear as to whether there's any relationship between
NTSC and HD, but if there is, I assume 480i is essentially an NTSC
signal. The VGA to component converters I'm aware of don't support 480i,
and they're fairly expensive too.

I've seen instructions for building your own VGA to component breakout
cable, after which you tune your VGA output to conform to a signal your
TV can understand. I gather it's reasonably possible to get a good
progressive signal this way, but it sounds like an interlaced signal is
a big headache.

So all in all, I'm pretty reluctant to go down that road. Considering
all the trouble I've had so far, I fully expect it would cost more and
work worse than what I've already got. :-(

Of course, once I get my infinite supply of money, I'll pick up a hi-res
VGA projector, but in the meantime... ;-)

Rick