[mythtv-users] None

Fri Apr 4 08:34:23 UTC 2003

> >Now, I realize that you'd have to re-encode the MPEG2 into MPEG4 to
> >keep the file sizes managable, but, it seems like it might be a step
> >in the right direction for getting HDTV support on linux.

> Can you imagine what processing power you'll need to mpeg4 encode an
> HDTV stream of say 1920x1080???

back of an envelope calculation.  My 1Ghz machine can encode at 576x576 in RTJpeg (just), and is OK at 480x480 in MPEG 4.  1920x1080 is 9 times as many pixels as 480x480, so assuming that the encoding is proportional to number of pixels, then I guess you need around 9Ghz of processing power... (perhaps a little less)

I am about to order a "full" DVB-T card which allegedly has a V4L interface where the TV signal is already decoded and I hope to get myth to record this and re-encode (quality loss, etc).  However, reading the vdr lists it appears that it is quite easy to get the raw MPEG2 and sound piped to you (and then you only need the cheap card < £70).  I don't have any time to work on this at the moment at all, but perhaps in the future myth will start to integrate some of these digital tv features...