[mythtv-users] SN41G2 (amd) Shuttle and MythTV

J.D. Bakker bakker at thorgal.et.tudelft.nl
Tue Apr 1 20:00:09 UTC 2003

>--- Brett Bolen <brettb at moya.trilug.org> wrote:
>>  has anybody got this working?
>>
>>    http://us.shuttle.com/specs2.asp?pro_id=163
>>
>>  I'm wondering how the Dual VGA and sound is handled
>>  ( Nforce2
>  > chipset with MCP-T).

>There are a lot of unresolved problems with the nforce
>chipset under Linux. Kernel guru Alan Cox says the
>chipset is best for "winputers."

As a counterpoint, I have an ASUS A7N8X Nforce_2_ as my dedicated
MythTV backend. I have noticed no sound issues at all (not when
running the frontend on that box anyway); the 4 120G 7200RPM disks do
100MB/sec read 70MB/sec write in RAID-5. I briefly tried RAID-0 and
got 120+MB/sec for read/write. My AGP card is an old Radeon which
indeed doesn't do AGP-GART with the chipset, but even so I found no
major issues. All this on vanilla 2.4.21-pre5-ac3.

Now if only I can fix the video on my SiS/PIII frontend box...

JDB.
[MythTV up and running since, oh, Friday ;-)]
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lart.tudelft.nl/