[mythtv-users] SN41G2 (amd) Shuttle and MythTV

Rob Snow lists at dympna.com
Tue Apr 1 18:51:58 UTC 2003

I'm sure Alan knows about 10x more than I do, however, I'm currently
running a pair of NForce boxes next to each other under Linux alone.  I
actually only intended on having one, but due to a nifty issue with
NForce boards and overclocking I ended up buying two since I
thought I burned one out. (Once a overclock goes bad FSB/pure MHz it
takes a couple of jumpers to to reset it...I didn't know this).

My main MythTV box is a MSI K7N2 NForce2 with onboard network
and sound.  Works like a charm under Mandrake 9.1/Cooker with a
GF4 4200 after I compiled the needed drivers.  Only downside is that
under the current 2.4.21 from MDK it's stuck at a UDMA33 drive so I'm
only seeing 31.x MB/sec with my 120GB 7200rpm drive.

The second box (actually the first one I bought) is a A7N266C
(NForce1) running Gentoo and is working like a charm, it will
eventually be my mythbox.  Currently using a old Millenium, 384MB of
PC2100 I found around the house, $5-10 network and sound
(CMIPCI) and a old 10GB drive.

Both have been running for several weeks on end now with a
constant seti at home load on them.  Main box is running CVS mythtv
and records at least 4-5 shows a day (stress testing) while the
second is currently doing my mencoder work via NFS.

Oh, to give an idea of speed, the first box NF2 is doing seti blocks @
3:08 (@1916MHz/166/CL2) and the second is running them @ 3:41
(1667/133/CL2.5).  Both are 1800+ (1533MHz) with various
overclocking added in.

-Rob

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003 08:10:45 -0800 (PST), Jason James wrote
> There are a lot of unresolved problems with the nforce
> chipset under Linux. Kernel guru Alan Cox says the
> chipset is best for "winputers."
>
> There are some IDE DMA fixes for nforce in the latest
> 2.4.21-pre4 and higher kernels. I haven't tried them
> yet, but want to because they fix some of the issues
> that cause kernel OOPses and hopefully will fix some
> of the performance problems I'm seeing with MythTV.
> Right now, my nforce based system (ASUS A7N266-VM)
> crashes frequently while using MythTV.
[SNIP]